- Approx Floor Area: 180 sqm
- Land Size: 888 sqm
- Tenure: Freehold
- Approx year built: 1970
- Property condition: Renovated, Excellent
- Property Type: House
- House style: Contemporary, Other (Architectural)
- Garaging / carparking: Internal access, Double lock-up, Off street
- Construction: Corrugated Iron, Block, Cedar and Timber
- Joinery: Steel, Double glazing in the bathroom., Timber
- Roof: Iron
- Insulation: Walls, Ceiling
- Flooring: Tiles, Timber and Carpet
- Window coverings: Drapes, Blinds
- Heating / Cooling: Heat pump, Other (Underfloor heating in the bathroom & shower)
- Property Features: Security system
- Chattels remaining: Fixed floor coverings, Light fittings, Stove, Drapes, Sky Dish, Queen Bed, BBQ, Pair of outdoor gates
- Kitchen: New, Designer, Modern, Open plan, Dishwasher, Upright stove, Rangehood, Double sink, Pantry and Finished in Stainless steel
- Living area: Open plan, Separate living
- Main bedroom: Double and Walk-in-robe
- Bedroom 2: Double and Built-in / wardrobe
- Bedroom 3: Single and Built-in / wardrobe
- Main bathroom: Separate shower, Exhaust fan
- Laundry: Separate
- Views: Private
- Aspect: North, West
- Outdoor living: Clothes line, Garden, Deck / patio, Verandah
- Fencing: Fully fenced, Materials (Concrete & Timber)
- Land contour: Flat
- Grounds: Backyard access, Manicured, Other (Sandpit)
- Garden: Garden shed (Number of sheds: 1)
- Water heating: Gas
- Water supply: Town supply
- Sewerage: Mains
- Locality: Close to shops, Close to transport, Close to schools
About this listing
This is a classic example of architecture's rarest gem, an architect's own home. Designed by John Huggins in the 1970s. This highly crafted 180sqm house with its sculptural form is inspired by the architecture & principles of Le Corbusier, the 20th century's most legendary architect.
The house reflects Le Corbusier's modernist ideas on the importance of space, light and function. Inside the use of floor to ceiling glass, sky high ceilings and cantilevers accentuate the form and create an open, bright space with a sense of immersion in the garden.
An extensive, sympathetic restoration has been undertaken. The bold design, level of detail and quality craftsmanship is evident from the most costly items, such as the sculptural kitchen joinery, to the smallest of items, such as the custom handmade doorhandles.
The house is cleverly positioned to maximise the sun on the generous 888sqm block. It is set amongst wonderful grounds with full privacy from the street screened by an abundance of mature trees and plantings. This serene retreat is located just a 3-minute drive away from our new and emerging CBD, which offers a plethora of dining experiences and amenities.
The physical experience of being there, is the other half of the story and one that can't be told from the photographs. Built ahead of its time, it is still daringly modern with a fun and inspiring atmosphere and yet perfectly attuned for relaxed, comfortable 21st century living.
Don't miss this opportunity to purchase one of the relatively scarce 20th century architectural homes, as it will be sold on auction day.
PUBLICATIONS AND MEDIA
This house has been published on Stuff.co.nz , thehomescene.nz & Avenues magazine. Used as a backdrop for bespoke furniture maker Icotrader's photo-shoots & is set to be featured online by Resene & Dulux.
To view the Property File, please copy and paste the link:
Please be aware that this information may have been sourced from RPNZ/LLUR/REINZ/Property Guru/Land Information New Zealand/Christchurch City Council/CERA and we have not been able to verify the accuracy of the same.